PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Handtools, convincing mangement to buy high quality tools
Old 25th Aug 2014, 22:25
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over a period of time, as a hands-on mechanic, running my own business, I had to make my own purchasing decisions.
a set of torn and bruised knuckles saw the purchase of a basic set of Snap-On screwdrivers -flat, pozi and Philips.
Pipe flare-nut spanners from the same source....why? because their jaws were much thicker,thus the full flat of the nut was engaged...more applied torque with less rounding-off or crushing. basic set of single-hex sockets....as with the spanners, very slim, so could get into tight places, good fit, strong. universal-joint....again, far smaller than rival makes, strong , good articulation.
All my general spanners and bi-hex sockets were Britool or secondhand ,brands as om 15 has said.....generally good quality, not as beautifully finished and polished as Snap-on, but far cheaper.

Facom has attempted to establish as a premium brand in UK IMHO, grossly overpriced, but can be a good e-bay purchase as liquidation stock.
@ Capot agree, re- ajustable spanners, but sometimes, a man's gotta do..... like using a screwdriver as a chisel/drift/prybar