PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Day Britain Stopped
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2003, 07:07
J-Class

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having just watched this, I'm very disappointed with the BBC.

Inaccuracies abounded, big and small, in a dangerous mix of fact and fiction. One might point out that BA doesn't fly its own metal to Bilbao from LHR (although it does have a codeshare with IB on the route); and that CSA doesn't operate freight-only flights into LHR, as far as I'm aware. Perhaps these were intentional errors; perhaps they were simply lazy. Who knows - the programme makers didn't seem to care.

Then there was the missed approach. No mention of the role of TCAS in preventing such incidents (too complicated for the viewer, perhaps?) Also no idea of why the CSA pilot veered onto the active runway during go around - not something which has happened to me on the many go-arounds I've been involved with as a SLF.

Yes, mid-air collisions have happened elsewhere and could happen in London. But to put forward such a loopy premise for one led me, as another correspondent has written, to question the research behind the entire programme.

Still, the Daily Mail will love it - it makes for better copy than things that are actually dangerous to your health (such as, er, the Daily Mail...)

[Edited for syntax]