PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAPALM
Thread: NAPALM
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2014, 11:31
DODGYOLDFART

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for responding to my original question. My follow up is to ask how you would feel about being tasked to use Napalm or a later version thereof on IS forces in the Middle East right now?

The reason I ask this question is to see if attitudes have changed in the last 40 years or so towards the use of such weapons. I count among my friends a couple of guys who were involved in Vietnam in the 1970's. One was an FAC who felt that napalm was the most effective weapon he could use against his enemy in open country or forest. He said that all that he had to do was call in a strike and as soon as the aircraft made a dummy run the Vietcong would often brake off the engagement. The psychological effect on his enemy was he felt was immeasurable.

The other guy was a pilot who had often been tasked with dropping Napalm as well as lots of other ordinance. He did not like Napalm as he felt it was a whole lot more dangerous to use. Although he had no qualms about using it.

IS are currently using many bestial techniques against civilians in Iraq with the intention of creating terror in these communities. Is it not time that we responded with a little terror of out own, perhaps?