PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Handtools, convincing mangement to buy high quality tools
Old 25th Aug 2014, 09:56
unstable load

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The shift these days is away from personally owned tools to company owned, mainly due to quality and safety controls with regards to individual standards and inventory controls.

There are many arguments about what make/quality to buy, and my opinion is that the company should get the senior engineers (the ones with actual spannering experience) on site to sit down and thrash out what is best for the applications.
For example, I have spanners made by Snap-On for general work, but also a set of Blue Point (A budget line of Snap-On) and some Stahlwille for their specific qualities that make certain tasks easier. The Stahlwille are nice, slim profiled spanners that make tight corners more accessible than S-On. I also have Craftsman and Kennedy tools for the less frequently used Metric applications.

While there are a multitude of makes out there, there are actually few independant manufacturers of tools these days, and most of them to a greater or lesser degree will be made in China, including Snap-On, so get over it.

Then, there is the tricky world of "home made/modified" tools for specific type-related tasks, like the Allison 250 FCU and Governor replacement, or the CT-58 FCU replacement and adjustment. Those tools aren't available in any catalogue, but anyone who has had any decent time on ANY type will know what I mean because chances are good they have a tool for THAT PARTICULAR bitch of a job.

I currently work for a French outfit and all our tools are Facom, and while they are good quality, you will find a few of them have been ground and filed to allow their bulk to be reduced to make them useable, which reinforces the argument of "What is the right tool to buy?"

If you want to do this properly, you need to convince the guys that will be using the tools to get out of the "Free tools, therefore they must be Snap-On" mindset and get them to practically consider and justify their recommendations to you, then, you need to sit the beancounters down and convince them that this is the most satisfactory solution based on the 20, 50, 100 years collective experience on the floor and within reason, they need to buy those tools because that is the considered opinion of the people who will actually be using them to keep Productivity and Quality at optimum levels.

That's my tuppence worth..... Good luck in your quest!