PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too old for airlines...
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2014, 09:50
Redmedia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self fulfilment vs security

I take my hat off to Slingsby and his post, very honest indeed, and very telling of the industry. I think it encompasses many of the risks you may run into.

If you chose to go into this career then please make sure you do it eyes wide open. Attempting to become a pilot comes with significant risks, there are too many sad stories out there.

It’s a personal thing, and it can be very difficult being torn between following one’s dream of becoming a pilot, or going back to the sensible (albeit boring) day job. That’s a really tough one, its self fulfilment vs. security. The older we get, the less risks we can afford to take as there is normally family involved, and we have less time to make up for any failure.

I can’t even begin to tell you what a pain in the butt it was to become a pilot, even as a younger guy. Expensive as heck, frustrating and seemingly always living out of a suitcase. 3 countries on 3 continents.

In total 6 jobs and a few thousand flying hours. I got to fly lots of GA and a few years as an FO for a couple of airlines. I gave it up when my airline in the UK went bust, I guess I was done chasing the dream of flight at that point. Other things in life became more interesting.

Even if my flying career is not the greatest success story, I am very happy I did it because I achieved a big goal in my life. It would have been hell looking back, knowing that I never did that one thing I always wanted to do.