PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 25th Aug 2014, 01:13
LukePilot152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I want to do for a career is fly - how am I most likely to achieve this?

Hello,

Sorry about the title, it sounds very cliched and that wasn't really the angle I was trying to go for. Be prepared for a read, as I'm not known to be brief.

First things first. My name is Luke and I'm 17 years old. I've been wanting to be a career pilot for nine or so years and I'm one exam away from my EASA PPL (I'm UK based). Now, I don't think this is out of the ordinary, and I'm sure you've seen introductions similar to that more times than you can count. But that's what makes me different I suppose, I can understand the fact I have very little chance of achieving my dream. Doesn't mean I won't try though.

I'm studying at AS level and expect/hope to get at least BCC, ideally BBB. This would place me in good standing for the BA Future Pilot Scheme and all the various other schemes on offer for airlines in the UK. I will hold a PPL in about three to four weeks so I will also be able to apply for the fully funded Atlantic Airways scheme.

What I want to know though, is what else can I do?

I know that the chances of my getting lucky with a scheme to get me from wheels to wings in 18 months are, at most, slimmer than a size zero supermodel. So what other things would I be able to try and aim for? Bush flying? Cargo runs? What I need is inspiration, a glimmer of hope to keep the dream alive. Which is the best division of career flying to aim for if I don't want to be the one who tried and, regrettably, failed?

Stories, advice, inspiration - anything to stop me from listening to the people who keep on telling me to find a new inspiration.