PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What does in excess of 40 minutes mean?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2014, 22:40
Lookleft

Received 195 Likes on 90 Posts
It's not to advise you how much extra you need to carry (because we don't know yet) but to let you know the forecast is wrong and the real delays are currently bigger.
Thanks for that, now I understand the problem from the ATC point of view but I'm not sure the system understands the problem from the pilots point of view. I am not having a go at the ATC people at the coal face because you are only working within the limitations of a flawed system.

The problem from the pilots point of view is that we need to know what the actual holding time is as we are only operating with a finite resource. If I don't have enough fuel I would want to find out sooner rather than later so that I can get back on the ground with sufficient reserves to put more fuel on. My preference would be to refuel before I got airborne as it would only cost me 20 or 30 minutes extra.

On Saturday at no point did the forecast require weather holding and when I did my approach I was visual with the runway on base. I touched down 11 minutes after my scheduled ETA so MAESTRO created a lot of bother for very little reason.