PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Middle East Policy?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2014, 19:31
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train Smash

Our foreign policies have been inconsistent, confused and seem now to be presently very reactive to media attention and media broadcasting.
We seem to have zig-zagged along for years and years. I can remember as if it were yesterday 1998 and 99 when we sent out SHAR and GR7 or 9 from Invincible up in the NAG and over Iraq. Effectively what did that really achieve? Stability of a kind? We seemed to want to contain Iraq as it was then (not my words, one of our seniors onboard who gave an informal brief "don't want Iraq to end up like Afghanistan, boys.Not with the radical Taliban in charge...don't want the place to be a shambles.
But then the zig zag and 2003 invasion, regime change..all a mistake in retrospect, in hindsight.(still no sign of the enquiry/war report being allowed out-why is that)?
Freed Libya very recently-that policy is now an utter shambles. Syrian policy has assisted in the present state there. Its an even bigger disaster.

Israeli/Palestine policy has resulted in what we see this month.

I think the British public truly are very worried about what we may have done, or played a part in.
Seems to be no end to the spreading ripples of violence brought about from September 11 2001. The 2003 Iraq invasion and everything we in the west do seems to make things even worse.
I have no faith in the people in charge anymore, the Government, cabinet, the COBRAs, at all. They just do not know what to do. These people are paid, are elected to have foresight and to think carefully far ahead into the future but I do not see any evidence that they are really earning their pay.