PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAPALM
Thread: NAPALM
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2014, 06:56
Hempy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stanwell
Napalm rockets??
I seriously doubt that such a store was developed, let alone used.
It may have gone one stage beyond concept to the point where a patent was applied for - but beyond that...

Is there any documentary evidence (aside from the late Wing Commander's recollection) to support that such a weapon was used operationally?

I'm always willing to be educated on such matters.
It's got me intrigued, that one.
The RAAF pilots found the accuracy of the conventional bombing in the mountainous Korean terrain left something to be desired and had a definite preference for the air-to-ground rocket. Late in 1951, the RAAF developed a new type of rocket containing napalm, known as the 'Flaming Onion', and after trials at Williamtown and preliminary testing in Korea, the first examples arrived at 77 Squadron early in February 1952.

The Americans showed considerable interest in the new weapon, and on 8 February 1952, when the napalm rocket was first used in combat, the USAF provided an RF-80 reconnaissance aircraft to record the results on film for later analysis. The Squadron's new CO, Wing Commander Ron Susans led four Meteors armed with the new rockets in an attack on several buildings with 75% of the rockets scoring hits on the targets, resulting in numerous fires. The new weapon was to prove extremely useful against the enemy vehicle convoys and troop concentrations and soon became the standard under wing weapon carried by RAAF Meteors, with each aircraft capable of carrying eight rockets under each wing.
They didn't pack a big enough punch to be overly effective.

Last edited by Hempy; 24th Aug 2014 at 23:13.