PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 23rd Aug 2014, 23:25
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AA62,

On my last visit to Cosford, I made a point of finding someone responsible for the care of their charges and asked a few questions about "our Albert". I wanted to know why having spent years parking the props in a particular way ( for very good technical reasons) they totally ignored it. Health and safety was the reply, if we park the props the way the RAF did, someone might walk in to one. Well, I have a bit of experience in walking around Albert, but I never heard of anyone walking in to a propellor. Walking around the aircraft I noted that the Cap for the SPR connection was left dangling below the closed panel. I corrected that myself. I rather suspect that the arrival of the aircraft gave Cosford publicity, its tenure there depends on its ability to resist Mother Nature. I doubt Cosford cares too much about its fate, it has fulfilled its purpose by creating publicity. Of course, the Belfast, housed indoors with its false display, is far more worthy of preservation.

Smudge