PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IRELAND WEST AIRPORT KNOCK
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2014, 23:24
onyxcrowle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Il second what tryfly said. I visited Ireland for the first time . Recently . And on my way to Burtonoort to catch the Aranmore ferry , I spotted a sign for Donegal airpirt.
I eas curious as ud heard it had lost all its flights.
So how I was surprised when I turned uo to find a lovkwy little terminal.
It was locked at first but the checkin girl let me in.
I explained I wad interested in Aviation .
So she yold me the flights they did.
Anyway I had lunch in the Aerport cafe , Lovley homemade soup and sandwiches. N herbal tea.
7 euro.
The weather was ok at Donegal, But by tge time I git to Aranmore it was like the Med.
And the lighthouse there is a must sea.
As is the memorial in the lough.
Im part cektic anyway so have an affinity for Scotland. Im half welsh. But great Grandmother was Irish.
When I went further south and West I flew from Conemara Airport. Staggeringly busy in terms of movements. And flew to spend a fee days on Inishmore.
And the strangest thing tgat that west side felt la bit like going back to visit the house yiou grew up in.
Ireland felt like home. Not to mention the spiritual nature of the pkace.
Inishmore the westher was amazing.
Theres things on there everyone shoukd have on their bucket list.
A 30.000 (may have even bern 300 000) years old fort. With stunning views.
I know this isn't aviation rekated but in awsy it is and il make my point in a moment so stick with thid. The irelabd had the smallest church in Eurooe.
Standing stones. The abandoned lighthouse. That they built to far inland.
And Great food. Andcdespite all the negstiv isdues with the EU I met and made friends who want to stay in touch. Irelsnd is ny spiritual home.
Anyway from an aviation and tourism thing.
Iteksnd is undersold.
None of those things ive told you all about are well promoted.
Even Northern Ireland . Thevgusnts Causeway.
The peace bridge in derry.
So can any proper pilot (im not sadly beyond the sim and I do have one real.life fkying hour in s poerrd glider).
So I dont understand the emwaybairports sre choden etc .
But Dionegal im sure coukd take A319?..
Derry amazing place.
Why is there no effort for Airport's to Win incoming Tourist flights.
For example , Air Berkin coukd land st donegal.
Twice a day in summer. Albiet perhaps from Different airoorts.
And Derry. Whete is the tiurust office in hekping secure more inbiund stuff.
Sorry fior the Long post. But having been there (been home). Its annoying that I have to dtive akk the way to Glasgow to getvto Donegal.
Another qyestion for you guys in the know and sgain sorry for the epic post.
Why cant we go back to the days in thecUk of intercity small prop servicrs (I mean like the proposed Newcastle to Msnchestershuttle).
Or to be ablr to flybfrom Any northern airpirt to the north of Scotland (yes I know they do Aberdeen).
But direct flights to inverness on small aircradt la few times a week . Or the Scottish Islabds and Ireland.
Your choice is either Belfast or Dubkin.
Are there Derry services in the North Eg Newcastke
And can you fky to Galway or Kerry from north.
(Does manchestercstill fly to shannon and Cork)?.
Im A supporter of DSA Linksair promised more routes id love them to offer if they had the fleet and Schefuke to Offer Donegal, Galway, Dubkin and Cork.
And inverness and Aberdeen/Edinburgh..
But my final point Smaller airport's need mote routes. Ok DSA isntva tourist destination though itvis only snd hour to York and Lincokn.
But these wee Irish airpirts need their tourism to really push the area. And all struggling Airpirts need APD exemption and Public Subsidies to bring in Decebt routes.