PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Middle East Policy?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2014, 20:24
Arcanum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it's a simplistic view at all, do you honestly believe that IS wouldn't have taken over in Syria if we had helped get rid of Assad?
The comment that was simplistic was the one that said the freedom fighters we were seeking to help turned in to our worst enemy overnight.

ISIL taking over Syria had the FSA been successful in overthrowing Assad? Maybe. We'll never know.

Turkey are far too strong, Iran, Saudi etc also. These countries should be sorting it out not us.
Iran and Saudi, yes. Though Iran are already involved both on the ground and conducting air strikes. I'm not as convinced about Turkey after some of the unrest in the last few years. Jordan and Lebanon are at risk.

Regardless, if ISIL can consolidate their power in the region do you really think we'll be unaffected?

I'm not kidding myself. No one in this region is our friend. I'd favour damaging ISIL just enough to even the odds with everyone else. The more that region are fighting each other, the less time they've got to have a go at us.

Sadly, given the half-arsed way our politicians will go about any engagement, our forces will shoulder a load of risk without being given the opportunity to be really effective.