PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane hire checkflight
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2014, 18:38
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I do checkouts for a few syndicates, normally of new or refreshing syndicate members - also once in a blue moon for a school.

When I do I always take care to ask the "owner" (school CFI or syndicate chairman usually) what standard of flying they want out of the pilot.

The detail varies, but generally speaking, the answer boils down to:-

(1) Understands and shouldn't break the aeroplane
(2) Can handle likely emergencies
(3) Won't p**** off the local ATC or other pilots sharing the airfield.

Nobody ever really cares about perfection of RT, altitude holding in steep turns, navigational skill, or whether you could pass a PPL skill test again tomorrow. The main issues of a checkride are really all about safety.

So, generally expect a briefing on the aeroplane and any syndicate and local rules (read the manual first, find your way around a suitable checklist, and familiarise yourself with the airfield and local airspace to save everybody time and grief), circuits (if you can't land it well, all else is irrelevant), and probably a few stalls and PFLs.

If you're new to the area, also expect a "sector recce" (old RAF term) where you get shown the local nav landmarks and avoids.

Anything else is "nice to have" usually, but it is of course perfectly legitimate for any aircraft owner to demand a high standard of flying - but far more so a high standard of airmanship.

Depending upon the pilot, I've seen this take anything from half an hour to a dozen hours.