PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane hire checkflight
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2014, 13:55
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd support the observations that it depends on the instructor or check pilot, the aircraft, your experience level, the magnitude of the type transition and the complexity of the airspace in which you're flying. The conditions on the day might also be relevant. For example, a nice Canadian once lent me his Decathlon and, given the howling gale, it was entirely reasonable of him to want to see a few really good cross-wind three-point and wheel landings.

Having rented aircraft all over the world, I've occasionally found that I've had to request a bit of extra time, just to get to a comfortable understanding of the local area. But the actual aircraft checkout invariably goes quickly and smoothly if your're current in your flying, respectful and concentrate on displaying good airmanship.

By the way, some experienced instructors say they have the assessment 60% complete by the time you've taxyed to the holding point. Good airmanship, and fluent and thoughtful checks help a lot. Plenty of good discussion on that in your other thread! Do yourself a favour and stand out from the crowd: learn and understand the checks for the aircraft you're renting, even if you verify with a written list provided.