PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2014, 01:42
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roulishollandais
We need some cynism to keep the eyes open and the mind clear
Healthy scepticism is a good thing, but cynicism not so much in my opinion.

Just one word about Ste Odile flight's ATC , as I would not like that the reader of our thread would get misinformed again : The flight of Ste Odile was NOT RADAR VECTORED. After the trial there is no more doubt about that for anybody. The approach was a VORTAC /VOR-DME approach. The controller did a immediately corrected mistake and showed as not being considered by anybody as connected to the crash (sense of turn, the BEA had to note the fact and noted it, ask question, but nothing followed).
OK, we're off-topic here, so I don't want to get too much into the subject, but from what I understand (based on what I've read and the portions of the report I've translated), the controller offered radar vectors to the ANDLO beacon (from which the VOR-DME approach could be made), but turned them slightly too early, and then used non-standard language when asked to confirm their position. This is in everything I've ever read on the subject.

During the trial we discovered that military police searched the Controller immediately without he was asked anything to help to find the plane still missing.
Right, and you can thank the SNPL and M. Asseline for that, because the gendarmerie were absolutely determined that there would be no margin for error this time.

The military lawyer of the controller said me they didn't want to attack Air France for the wrong chart...
So let me get this straight - you're asking me to disregard pretty much everything I've read on the subject on the basis of your word that a military lawyer told you something.

Forgive me if I'm a little sceptical...