PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Java - do I need it?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2014, 00:04
onetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pelikal, Java programs are used to provide interactive graphics on billions of websites. These small, stand-alone programs are called Java Applets and they provide for some amazing graphics and multiple levels of intense information within webpages.

Java programs are recognised as being very useful and largely trouble-free, and they are accepted by 99.9% of computer users.
You need to download the Java Virtual Machine program to be able to view Java Applets - and the JVM requires regular updates to ensure the best, trouble-free viewing of Java graphics, and to keep up with increased security levels and other newer program developments that Java has to work with.

Java is free, it works admirably, and the only problem I have had, is an over-active anti-virus program that will stop Java from working properly, unless I ensure the AV program is advised that Java is a friendly program that does not need to be blocked.

Below is an example of a website that uses multiple Java applets to provide a high level of interactive information.
The website is the West Australian Govt's Land Information Authority, Landgate.
On this site, I can select an address anywhere in Western Australia and view multiple views of any titled property in the State, and find out a wide range of other information about titles and properties.
If you do not have Java loaded on your computer, you will not see anything worthwhile on this website.

https://www.landgate.wa.gov.au/bmvf/app/mapviewer/