PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - William to fly air ambulance
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 21:42
nutnurse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pikeys have been known to attack the civilian emergency services so some means of defending themselves (gas? pepper spray?), Flt Lt Wales (Rtd) on board or not, would seem to be moving from 'useful' to 'essential'. The RAF SAR policy has been that the winchman is a paramedic and is in control of the casualty, what he/she says goes, and he/she can be overruled by the captain only if the aircraft is in danger, regardless of their respective ranks, while all other back crew are trained at least to ambulance technician standard. I should hope that a Royal & Diplomatic Protection Officer is trained to that standard as a matter of course. If not, wake up, Met!

But if the future Capt Will Wales finds himself in a small chopper with only a paramedic then he does, it's what he's volunteered for and good luck and all praise to him! (Before any person of pedantic disposition points out that because of his royal peculiarities WW is already a Captain, although inactive, in the Blues & Royals, I know that thanks I'm referring to the civil aviation rank/status.)

BTW it's surely counter-productive for a member of the back crew to use a firearm on the service users.

Last edited by nutnurse; 22nd Aug 2014 at 21:56. Reason: Light switches on in brain, which has Bright Idea.