PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane hire checkflight
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 19:48
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
I went to rent a Cessna 207 once, 'never flown one before. He told me we'd be an hour for the checkride. He asked for a circuit first, so I flew the circuit. He asked for a second circuit, which I flew. As I coasted to a stop on the runway, he said "you're hired, take me in" and that was that.

On the other extreme, I was being checked out in a Piper Arrow 4, 'never flown one before. After 45 minutes, and a couple of circuits I was becoming quite sure that the guy checking me out had less experience than I (I had 45 minutes by then!). We talked a bit about our differing opinions as to how the plane was to be flown - I was doing what the POH said to do (I don't think he'd read it). So I did what the POH said, and told him if he did not like it, he did not have to sign me off. With that, I returned to our origin airport. I guess that during that 15 minute flight he decided I was okay, 'cause I was signed off.

The length and detail of your checkride may be quite affected by the skill and experience of the person checking you out.