PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sims that look like the aircraft
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2003, 00:19
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it does make a difference.

The CAA approvals can either have the sim as representative of a class (e.g. multi-engine) or a type. For example our new sim is a Duchess - all buttons in the same place, the ASI even says "Beechcraft" on it. In fact it is a Duchess airframe with simulator installed (shipped over from the US, I assume it was somehow written off), for the greatest realism we could manage! This will be used and approved both as a specific Duchess and a generic twin, allowing greater flexibility. The GPS is a real Garmin 430, stimulated not simulated for GPS training.

The improved fidelity from this not only makes for obvious improvements in the training available on the simulator, making transition to the aircraft simpler therefore cheaper, but I believe it also allows a greater variety of training on the sim under CAA approvals. I think we are even going to offer multi-engine ratings with some simulator time.

Certainly a panel with everything in the same place will reduce the time taken to refamiliarise with the aircraft for that stage of the training. This of course reduces the overall costs, and makes you look good when you come to apply for jobs, having passed IR on minimum hours!

Last edited by Send Clowns; 14th May 2003 at 19:27.