PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 17:26
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@A33Zab - right.

@Winnerhofer - ADR in this instance refers to the Air Data reference module of the combined ADIRU unit (I in this case referring to the Inertial reference module).

Originally Posted by roulishollandais
I'm writing from my experience not from what I'm reading here and there without having to prove the facts, writing black when they know it is white, shouting up if the publisher requests to shut up, and not present at the Court to testify, or rewriting again and again the wrong buzz like about the failures of the both Ste Odile approach charts.
I'm amazed to see these new refs after years of threads and official investigations.
Sorry - didn't see this earlier. I don't think there's that much new here in terms of data, just a bit more background info. To be honest, a lot of what's here was probably in the older threads as well, but I don't think many people are nuts enough to want to wade through thousands of posts in their entirety.

I must confess I don't share your cynicism regarding all reporting (those written by those that know aviation, anyway). Sure, some of the books I read got things wrong, and the way I've found that out over the years has been to do even more reading - many people on here have helped with that as well. That said, I think some of the errors in those books were either genuine mistakes, or simply that they were writing about events that had not yet been thoroughly analysed. In today's world of self-publishing, there are certainly likely to be more published works that present an agenda rather than simple reportage, but you can generally spot those when comparing other works on the subject. Hell, M. Asseline's book is probably one of the most agenda-driven works in modern aviation history!

Regarding the approach charts, I think there are several reasons why that aspect became a footnote - firstly that the FCU input mechanism was a glaring issue that needed to be fixed, and that took up many column inches at the time, secondly that all the SNPL hoopla about Airbus FBW was being pushed hard at the time, and also because if I recall correctly, the flight was being vectored by radar from the ground, and given the high workload in the flight deck regarding changing approach procedure it is unlikely that they based their flightpath on the charts. Significantly I believe the radar controller actually vectored them incorrectly (turned them onto finals a little too early), so they were laterally adrift of the localiser as well as descending too rapidly.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 22nd Aug 2014 at 19:06.