PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawk 40th Anniversary
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 13:11
Lonewolf_50

Received 416 Likes on 259 Posts
One of the Hawk's relatives is doing fine work these days on this side of the pond. There were some bugs to work out as our Navy introduced them (a good friend of mine was in the program office) and the nose wheel steering issues were still haunting our training wings well into the 2000's. That carping considered, it's been a good trainer for us and should be for quite a long time. The A to C mod was a sumbitch to get funded and programmed in a timely fashion, but it's an upgrade that is well worth the investment.

T-45 A/C Goshawk.

Trying for an OK 3 wire. (Wait, is that a picture of the hover mode for training Harrier pilots? )

Flying about the desolate wastes of southern Texas in prep for flying over the desert wastes of the Middle East ...

Goshawk is expected to remain in service until 2035.
Based on how long it took us to sundown the T-2C, I'll offer a small wager that T-45C's will still be flying in 2040, if we still have jet pilots in the USN then and haven't replaced our airwings with XB-47's and such pilotless hardward.

If I lose that wager, and it's retired before 2035, anyone still alive may have tequila shots on me whenever we meet! That would still make Hawk over sixty years old and still in active service! Pretty good.