PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 150 checkist
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 12:53
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
The use of checklists can only serve to lessen the likelihood of errors arising due to inadvertence on the part of the pilot.
Yes, sort of....

I did use the term "referred to" to distinguish from "held in hand most of the time, and read from". I am in favor of the approved checklist being the reference for the flight, as opposed to a home made document of uncertain origin.

I have certainly seen situations where the over use or dependance on the paper checklist created a cockpit distraction, or interrupted the flow at the time. That could be worse than forgetting an item at that phase of flight. You can check gear down in thirty seconds, but not if you have a mid air first! Everything in moderation...

I'm not saying that the approved checklist has to be in the pilot's hand on a regular basis during the flight. It must be available, and the pilot must refer to it. Reference could be because it has been completely memorized, and I'm not against that, if it works for that pilot, in that aircraft type.

If, the pilot wishes to refer to the checklist directly that's fine too, other than "memory items" (emergency stuff) should be memorized. When I fly my 150, I know that the POH is in the seat pocket, and available. When I fly a Caravan, I'll be holding the paper, 'cause I don't fly them frequently, and costly mistakes can be made, particularly during the start.

This probably is one of those "do as I say, not as I do" situations. If a pilot needs to ask, they need to refer to the paper version of the approved checklist. Other pilots can probably fly entirely safely with recollection of the approved checklist, which must be available, should it be needed. But those pilots do no good by suggesting that other pilots do not need to refer to the paper checklist. Its a personal decision for a private flight, and a company policy for a commercial flight.