PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Airlines Joining
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 10:19
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
If I gained command at present airline I thought (maybe naively) I would possibly get a deal with EK basically saying go to the RHS for a few years (as SFO) and then we'll move you over.
There won't be any "Deals" done. The criteria are laid down and adhered to.

In the past, there has been a "Fast track" command scheme, where highly experienced FOs were promoted inside the normal three year minimum.

That hasn't happened for several years,is no longer in our manual, and would be unlikely to happen as long as there are sufficient FOs in the company to fill the seats (which will be the case for the foreseeable.)

They have actually taken DECs while still not having the fast-track route open, and that would probably be the case in the future.

If they do hire DEC do you think you'd have a chance getting the LHS with only narrow body hours? or will you need some widebody experience?
It's happened in the past, but that was at a time of rapid growth and limited availability on the world market.

Never say never, but it seems unlikely anytime in the future. While EK is still expanding, on a percentage basis it will never be as rapid as, say, 8 years ago, when it doubled it's fleet in around four years.

It will therefore always have much more capacity to fill the LHS from within, and can therefore be picky when it comes to DECs (if ever.)

If your goal is a LHS with Emirates, the quickest route is to join asap as am FO and wait your turn.