PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Airlines Joining
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 10:00
aussiesteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decisions decisions

I'll get to the point before explaining my situation.

The decision I hope I will have to make at some point will be whether I take the first opportunity to move over to EK or stick at my current airline gain my captaincy then move over to EK. (if I did want to leave)
If I did move over as soon as I can I expect a 10+ year wait till command from what I've read in this thread.
If I gained command at present airline I thought (maybe naively) I would possibly get a deal with EK basically saying go to the RHS for a few years (as SFO) and then we'll move you over.
How likely is that? or is it just worth going over straight away if I wanted to make the move.

First, never move to the right, if not fired or out of job.
If EK wont hire DEC would it be wise to consider a move to the RHS for a slight pay cut for a few years until Captaincy?
If they do hire DEC do you think you'd have a chance getting the LHS with only narrow body hours? or will you need some widebody experience?

Background info

I am just about to start my first airline job on the A320 family after finishing flight school last year.
I have always wanted to fly Long Haul to be able to stay in your destinations and having flown EK lots when I was much younger I have always had a soft spot for it.
Having read this thread I understand that I have been very naive as I thought a tax free salary with accommodation etc was a pretty good deal. Maybe it is but maybe not. But I guess I'll be finding out just how it is when I start flying after my type.
Having spoken to a number of crew about EK they have suggested making sure that I visit DXB a good number of times to make sure that I enjoy the place and talk to people who work for them.

Sorry if you think the info is pointless but as I am just starting out I am trying to gather as much info as possible and any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks all!