PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats happening with Swissport at LGW?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 05:37
aergid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be fair to the current Swissport management,when Swissport and Servisair merged they had to dispose of Servisair Gatwick so the Swissport operation at Gatwick is exactly the same Swissport operation that was planned earlier in the year by the old swissport management.

When the merger happened Swissport were reversed into Servisair and the Servisair management took over they were obviously working on the integration and did not see the issues at Gatwick on the horizon. About June it became apparent that all was not well and a management "restructure" took place at Gatwick and Manchester on the same day, they have been playing catch up since then. I would imagine the available workforce around Gatwick that have a simple and therefore easily checkable work history are already working at the airport or don't want to work at the airport. This leaves Swissport having to ride the wave. They cant bring in staff from other airports like they used to as the current pass restrictions mean that you can have full access at Stansted or Heathrow for instance but that does not grant you access for Gatwick.

What Swissport are guilty of is running a very poor PR response to the issue, I have not seen response from Swissport. It seems that GAL are managing the PR response on their behalf and obviously doing that to put GAL into the best light. I don't believe the current management are culpable in this, beyond not checking what the old management had planned, but they are doing a very poor job of explaining why they cant recover the situation as quickly as they want and I believe others are to blame for that.

this will have a massively negative impact on Swissports reputation that will last just as long as it takes for the other handlers to raise their prices ........ or am I being cynical
and

A screw up over voluntary redundancy led to 150(roughly) people leaving at the same time, from what i have heard.

There is staff from Swissport stations all over the world at LGW helping out.

Maybe monarch leaving will be a blessing and efforts can be focused on providing better service to the remaining customers.
Both spot on...

Good to see some peeps on here with something between their ears apart from steam and pink mist....

Next few weeks it will be Menzies or DNATA or ASIS getting it in the neck, swings and roundabouts... that's the business we are in...

'Working at an Airport would be great, if it wasn't for Aircraft & Passengers'