PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 02:20
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
I know this is slightly off topic, and probably deserves a thread of it's own but:

6. Please tell me where I can buy a computer which can;
- administer first aid to a passenger having an inflight heart attack, or
- land an A330 with a severe flight control computer malfunction, or
- successfully return to an airport an A380 severely damaged after a engine explosion or a 747 after an unprecedented oxygen cylinder rupture, or
- perform a pre-flight walk-around of an airliner.
Every professional pilot know this is BS, but you'd be suprised about how the downward pressure on T+C's is a result of a commonly held belief in management and research circles that airliners fly themselves, that all pilot's do is turn on the magical "autopilot", which by definition does 100% of the job, while the pilots sit back and read the paper.

Even if they can't completely automate airline flying, they believe the advent of technology dumbs down the role of pilots to the extent you can pay and treat them like idiots. This book is a mind opening read into how the higher ups think of pilots, you might disagree with the theory but it's enlightening into how they think:

Amazon.com: Fly by Wire: The Geese, the Glide, the Miracle on the Hudson eBook: William Langewiesche: Kindle Store Amazon.com: Fly by Wire: The Geese, the Glide, the Miracle on the Hudson eBook: William Langewiesche: Kindle Store

OK back to the topic at hand,
The fact that many employee EBA's are open at the moment will probably be used with the expected loss as a bargaining tool to drive down T+C's in QF, especially the LH EBA which should be open for renegotiation soon.