PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Handtools, convincing mangement to buy high quality tools
Old 21st Aug 2014, 20:31
om15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few years ago the choices were pretty crap British tools like Snail Brand, King Dick, or eye watering expensive Snap On, however these days there are pretty good mid cost high quality tools such as Craftsman, facom, Stahwillie.

I've built my kit up over the years by selective purchasing, for the commonly used everyday kit I have Snap on and Blue Point, for general need to have but not used all the time items I have the mid range stuff.

With ebay it is possible to buy liquidation stock and good second hand kits, I haven't come across any required specifications by Regulatory Bodies, however you may consider discussing the possible damage that can be caused to aircraft and components by using inferior tooling.

Suggest you draw up a list of items that will be in constant use for whatever repeat routine tasks that you undertake, ie filter changes, QEC kits etc, and go for the high quality kit that won't let you down, and perhaps go for less quality kit for the rest.

I managed to build up a pretty good kit from Sears on trips to the States, crows feet and cranked spanners are pretty cheap, your Company might look over there for good deals.

good luck with the bean counters