PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wires. What wires?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2014, 18:33
vaqueroaero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is unfortunately something that is so easily done.

The first day of this years spray season I very nearly became a statistic due to a wire strike. The field we were spraying had a power line, like the one in the video, running east and west along a road that marked the field boundary. In the north east corner it made a ninety degree turn and then ran down the north/south field boundary. We were going to spray the field on the other side of the road, which meant that I was going to be free of worrying about the wires as I was running north/south.
Well for some reason on the second to last run I got it into my head that my next left hand turn was going to be "wire free". I pulled up, turned and set myself up to do the last run..............completely forgetting the wires were there. At the last second I saw them and managed through blind luck to pull up and go over them. I can still see them now out the door passing under the booms. It scared they heck out of me.

I had only flown over them about two hundred times that day! It is one of those moments in my flying career that will stay with me until my last breath. I have thought about it over and over as to what I was thinking. Still don't have a rational explanation.

It can happen to anyone.