PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 21st Aug 2014, 15:34
Mal Drop

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
During GW1 the 30 Sqn German Exchange Officer was not allowed to fly in theatre so during one of my spells back in Blighty I was crewed with him to do the Jersey Airshow (complete with nightstop).

On arrival in Jersey we got to the part of the shutdown checks where the Loadie gets cleared to open the crew door and go outside - our semi-tame German called 'Loadie, you are NOT clear to open the door, please wait'.

Having shutdown as far as possible he then put on his leather flying jacket and forage cap, opened the door himself and announced to the frankly shocked welcoming committee in a heavily teutonic accent 'Ve are back'.

Later, we had a chance to tour the Occupation Museum, those with forces ID got in free but after hearing a few comments about Germans from some of the waiting crowd he opted to just pay rather than start another incident.

By and large we were massively lucky with the personnel who came over from the US, Canada, Germany and Belgium; I got to fly with some real characters.

Last edited by Mal Drop; 22nd Aug 2014 at 12:31.