PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA now wants to control community flights what next
Old 21st Aug 2014, 11:18
kaz3g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would you need a CPL or a NVFR rating?

Isn't the issue one of flying within one's limitations at all times? Surely, that's what each of us must do every time we press a starter button?

I've flown in every State and Territory in the country, much of it in remote areas. I plan carefully, I check the weather, I carry my emergency rations and equipment and I'm always prepared to put it on the deck if things look iffy. I cruise at 100 knots (and my stalling speed is 28 knots) with an endurance of 0330 only. My Auster has an 0-320 160 hp engine and is maintained by a LAME.

Clearly, this means I am more limited in my flying versatility than some one flying something bigger, faster, with substantially greater range and lots more instruments to play with than a 6 pack. But I can't see that it means I am any less safe than the speed driver in his Mooney or whatever.

Each of us has to fly within our personal capabilities and the capabilities of our particular aircraft.

Kaz