PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multicom vs area frequency
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2014, 09:50
kaz3g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack said
. Everyone's an expert. Especially those who don't or have never operated an air ground frequency. When on combine my group operates 7 frequencies on re-transmit. Some aircraft can't hear when other aircraft are transmitting due mainly to geographic limitations, so let's just complicate it just a little bit more

I doubt this will be a problem anyway, in my experience rarely are VFR aircraft: monitoring the area frequency or situationally aware
That's a sad comment, Jack. I just flew to a conference in Alice and back to Shepparton in my Auster. Got back today.

I lodged my sartimes with ASA by Internet where possible and otherwise by radio. I monitored area frequencies all the way and I tried to be very situationally aware. Ozrunways was a big help in keeping track of frequency changes in the remote areas.

The tower people at Alice as always were helpful and tolerant of this 70 yo pilot in her 70 yo aeroplane. I went up to say "hi" to Paul in the tower whom I last saw there in 2009. The Area Controllers I spoke to were likewise very helpful and friendly. Departing William Creek the other day, I didn't get radio coverage until 7500 and then lodged a Sartime request by radio. Reception was poor but the Controller was assisted by a couple of IFR aircraft in the area and my plan was lodged.

I'm always grateful to those who keep me safe and I listen out on 122.4 when appropriate at home.

Kaz