PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 20th Aug 2014, 19:21
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircraft are sometimes subjected to zero and negative 'G', which rather negates that point.
Once a ball is engaged in a socket, it is held by a latch of some description (unless it's a permanent assembly,where the ball is bigger than the hole through which it's mounting-stud passes ) When the assembly is being used,gravity plays no further part in it's mechanical integrity.

He was , apparently Flared when the disconnect happened.As withan able-bodied pilot,he grabbed the Yoke back...just,with the other hand. with the system-latency of the aircraft, I think the throttles would make not a jot of difference.....more likely, the sudden short pitch forward of the controls ,caused a "bunny-hop" which gave the impression of a bounce....
..dunno, wasn't there, it was two years ago, never happened before, unlikely to ever happen again..... I'd think blocked /faulty Pitot-probes, sticky rudder-servos, bits of titanium dropping off and bursting tyres........ are far more important issues than, "If you wear a prosthetic, brief your oppo that theres a < million -to-one chance it may detatch from the Yoke, so follow -through on critical phases of the flight"....OK? i'm out of here