PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 20th Aug 2014, 10:22
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I repeat, The streets are not littered with bits of broken prosthetics.

They are , apart from the artificially.skinned, pneumatic/hydraulic, nerve-sensing servo-controlled masterpieces of engineering and cosmetics.

extraordinarily well-built, designed and engineered. Unlike a lot of industries, there is a strong element of moral and ethical responsibility within the broad medical industry.
I'd suggest, without any factual evidence, Prosthetics are less failure-prone than aircraft! (aside from having a few thousand less components)

Has it occurred to anybody that the Pilot maybe just didn't fully latch the "hand" to the Yoke? _incidentally....a balljoint,installed so that gravity holds the ball in the socket, will not separate ,if within it's articulation limits
the harder it's loaded, the tighter the two parts engage.

A gloved or sweaty hand can slip off a control. I defy anyone to deny driving off with a car-door on "first-latch" (if you haven't, you will!) this wasthe same situation,except the hand was mechanical.

This incident has been blown out of all proportion,here and a lot of people are surmisimg the bounce was due to the PF not having his hand on the throttles.

The supposition is flawed...by the time throttle- closure had any effect, the bounce would already have happened.......but the witch-hunters on their hobby horse are ignoring this possibility.