PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The other Iraq air campaign
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2014, 04:29
500N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the bit before that

"Like panic-stricken rabbits caught in the headlights, our political leaders do not appear to know which way to go.
The only thing that they do know is that something must be done. But developing a viable, effective strategy against the brutal campaign of the Islamic State has, so far, clearly been beyond their competence".

and this

"Sadly that is lacking as the West’s leaders seem to be stumbling daily as they try to configure exactly what they want to achieve.
Indeed, I have grave fears that they do not have a clear idea of what form such military intervention should take. For it is imperative that before we send so much as one British soldier back to Iraq, our government’s strategists must decide with absolute clarity and precision the objective of the mission.
They must also commit sufficient resources to ensure the job is done with as little risk as is possible to the lives of our men."

And like I said a few days ago - Maggie and don't micro manage the military, he confirms it

"Today’s floundering politicians could learn from one leader who handled such issues brilliantly: Margaret Thatcher.
Whether it was over the Falkland Islands or the Iranian Embassy siege (when the SAS stormed the building in London in 1980 after it had been held by gunmen for six days), she always gave clear instructions at the outset.

She never changed her mind once operations had commenced and didn’t try to micro-manage what was happening on the ground."