PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Firsts! Fact or fiction?
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2014, 00:55
B-HKD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First "Pod-Nod". True or False
A term initially used on the L1011. And later used to describe the changes made to the 211s on the B742s. An idea engineered by former head of engineering Stewart John.

Pod Nod' that you refer to was an L1011 phenomenon I believe. It occured when at moderate thrust (as I recall...memory's a bit slack these days!) and started during light turbulence when a harmonic motion of the wing got the engine pod oscillating up and down. Looked quite dramaric from the cabin but apparently there were no ill effects. Was stopped by adjusting the power a little.

One of the most common causes of Pod-Nod on the RB211-22B(L1011) and the early RB211-524's C2/D4 is an oscillation of fuel flow. Causing the engine speed to 'pulse'. The change in the engine rotor speed as a result of this harmonic pulsing was for the engine to swing from side to side, I've seen them move by 6-10' in the test cell, probably more on wing. Exactly the same way the engine in your car rocks as you blip the throttle open and closed.

The most recent cause of this phenomena was a weeping fuel seal in the pump and governor (PAG) fuel pump. As it was weeping the change in fuel pressure caused the demanded fuel flow to increase and decrease, thus causing the pulsing/oscillation. Needless to say this unit is made by LUCAS, say no more!