PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-IV Crash at KBED follow up
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2014, 17:04
Old Boeing Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G-IV Crash at KBED follow up

Gulfstream has just published a "Maintenance and Operations Letter regarding the gust lock system.

I wonder if they "know" something?

I copied and pasted as I do not know how to attach the PDF.

Regards,

OBD

FLIGHT CREW OPERATIONAL INFORMATION
TO: All Gulfstream Operators
SUBJECT: Flight Controls (ATA 27) – Gust Lock System
Gulfstream issued Maintenance and Operations Letter (MOL) ALL-MOL-14-0015 on June 13, 2014,
which reminded operators of the importance of adhering to Airplane Flight Manual (AFM) procedures
to confirm flight control integrity and freedom of movement. The procedures direct flight crews to
ensure the gust lock is released prior to engine start (not applicable for G650, which does not have a
gust lock system), and that all flight controls are free to move through their full travel prior to taxi and
during subsequent ground movement.
While a throttle interlock is incorporated in the design of the gust lock system, if proper unlock
procedures are not followed, movement of the throttle to a position capable of providing sufficient
engine power for autothrottle engagement and takeoff power may be possible for GIV models.
Throttle movement is not an absolute indicator of the gust lock status for any Gulfstream model. The
freedom of flight control movement is the ultimate indicator the gust lock is fully released for all
Gulfstream models.
As mentioned in the previous MOL, flight crews are reminded to perform the following as set forth in
the applicable AFM procedures for each model aircraft:
 Ensure the gust lock is OFF prior to starting engines (not applicable for G650)
 Check all flight controls for freedom and correct movement prior to taxi/takeoff
 Confirm the elevators are free during the takeoff roll
If you have questions or comments regarding this communication, please contact Customer Support at
800-810-GULF (4853) or 912-965-4178, by fax at 912-965-4184, or by electronic mail at
[email protected].