PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incipient Spin Recovery
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2014, 15:54
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
I think the most practical deliniation between an incipient spin and a spin is

Incipient spin. Stall recovery actions will allow control to be regained. That is stick forward, full power, control the yaw with rudder

Spin. A stall recovery will not work because the rotation must be stopped before forward stick can be applied and the power must be reduced to idle.

For all common trainers you need to get well into the second turn before simply applying forward stick will not effect a recovery.

Canada does not have spins on the flight test but the instructor is required to demonstrate one prior to solo. I always do one just prior to going to the circuit and do it by setting up a too slow skidding base to final turn scenario (at altitude in the practice area of course)

Outside of aerobatic training the spin is not a manoever, it is the consequence of screwing up, badly. I strongly feel that if it is going to be demonstrated as part of PPL /CPL/type training than it should be presented not as "today we are going to learn how to do a spin" but rather "this is what will happen if you allow the aircraft to inadvertently stall (BAD !) and then don't control any yaw that develops (WORSE !).

The best way to do this is to present the student with the common stall/spin scenarios. Success is not recovering from the spin it is recognizing and avoiding entering the incipient spin in the first place.