PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Reservist takes bullet for British Colonel
Old 19th Aug 2014, 12:59
Wrathmonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone as selfless as that wouldn't even enter the discussion
I would hope you could say that about every single person who has been awarded a medal for gallantry - an individual who enters a discussion about what level medal they feel they personally deserve (or moans that they should have got a higher award than the one made) doesn't deserve one in the first place IMHO (regardless of what they did)!

But to suggest that arguing over what medal this particular individual deserves belittles what he is done is wrong (again, IMHO). Sometimes gallantry such as this needs a bit of a 'nudge' in the right direction to get the reward they justly deserve (and perhaps alert those journalists who peruse this site who have column inches to fill...) - I haven't read back through the thread on the campaign to knight Simon Weston (that I believe ended up in Jet Blast) to see if you made similar comments there...

What is really belittling, however, is that with the football season underway again here in UK the words hero and bravery will soon become so overused as to make them meaningless.....