PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2014, 04:47
FGD135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... which instruments and controls are badly designed.
Thankyou Edmund, this is my point, exactly, about the airspeed tape.

Surely (if this is the case) many 777 pilots must have filed complains about this difficult and confusing machine following countless 1000's of flights and landings.
Are any such reports available?
Excellent question, MrDK. I'm glad you asked. You seem to be referring to the airspeed tape. There are two parts to the answer.

Firstly, and as I have been saying for several weeks now, the pilots, under normal and low workloads, don't notice how poorly the airspeed is communicated via the tape.

It is only when the stress and work load starts to get up towards the "emergency" levels that the brain, in a process similar to "task shedding", starts to avoid referring to the airspeed tape. This is because of how much brain power is required to use the tape.

So, for 99.95% of flights, everything in the cockpit is too relaxed, and the pilots just don't notice the problem.

Secondly, on those rare occasions when the crisis level has gotten into, or close to the emergency levels, the pilots, for the reason given above, don't refer to the airspeed.

This means that, if they survive the emergency, they have no recollection at all of what the airspeed was doing during the critical moments. They can't then file a report about it, because it's as though it never happened.

Of the 4 stall-crashes to passenger aircraft since 2009 (all to aircraft with the speed tape), 5 of the pilots survived. If they were questioned as to their recollections of the airspeed, you would find them giving only a blank look.

This should answer your question as to why there are not thousands of reports about the inadequacy of the airspeed tape.

Last edited by FGD135; 19th Aug 2014 at 05:11.