PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying a 737 flight simulator
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2014, 04:37
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TeeEmm
As a matter of interest, the steep turn normally required as part of an instrument rating test is based upon 45 degrees angle of bank and 250 knots. 60 degrees is real Gung Ho stuff and not really relevant other than unusual attitude practice.
Of course, steep turns are typically flown, as you say, at some defined airspeed (often it is 250 knots) and at a bank angle of 45 degrees. The only reason I referenced a 60 degree bank, 2-g turn was in response to rudderrudderrat’s post …
As human pilots we "feel" the delta g during turns and during any maneuver which changes the vertical speed (take off rotation, landing flare, TCAS maneuvers etc.) The delta g feed back loop is how we judge the aircraft is responding to our pitch inputs and prevents us from exceeding +2.5g (in unprotected aircraft) or uncomfortable reduced / -ve g during a rapid level off from a climb. I don't know of any simulator capable of reproducing those motion cues. So mathematically, the sim and aircraft performance may be identical, but a human pilot will still tell you it doesn't feel the same, and he is correct.
…that seemed to be centered around a 2.5-g maneuver that would likely not be able to be realistically simulated in a flight simulator – regardless of it’s pedigree. I was attempting to defend the viability and excellent accuracy with which most flight simulators represent realistic, if only “on-set” motion cues – including the initiation of appropriate “g-force” cueing. In addition, I wanted to address the fact that since typically we don’t see maneuvers in the airplane that result in anywhere near 2.5-g accelerations, and since the references noted were to flying with “2 fingers,” I was merely attempting to point out that whatever task was being flown with “2 finger control” was not likely to result in something that would take at least a 60 degree bank, level turn – which requires right at 2-g’s of acceleration to accomplish.

Last edited by AirRabbit; 19th Aug 2014 at 08:48.