PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed for aspiring RAF pilot
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2014, 20:54
Bob Viking

Received 548 Likes on 149 Posts
T93

Assuming this is not a wind-up I will get in there before all the standard negative replies are forthcoming.
Read the lengthy OASC thread before proceeding. If you haven't already then you need to get to a recruiting office (AFCO). They will have all the information you need.
It is a very competitive field and you will need to know your stuff. If you still have specific questions once you have read the thread I mentioned and been to an AFCO then this is a good place for extra guidance.
I am a current RAF FJ pilot and could give you loads of useful advice but what I have told you above will help you every bit as much initially.
Just to give you an idea of what you are up against I will use myself as an example. I first decided I wanted to be a FJ pilot when I was 12 (just after watching Top Gun but I knew I didn't want to be in the Navy!) having wanted to do something military for as long as I could remember. I joined Air Cadets, got my GCSEs and A levels, spent four years at University and participated in lots of sporting acitivities (competitive racing cyclist amongst other things). I knew pretty much everything I could about aircraft and the RAF in general. Thankfully I have perfect vision and no health problems. I am also devastatingly handsome and blessed with a sparkling wit.
Self motivation is key but if you feel you have what it takes then go for it. Your vision may be a problem but I believe that Laser surgery is permitted if you are willing.
That is all I will offer for now but be very wary of posting questions on this forum that make you appear to be just a hopeless wannabe. Others less benevolent than myself may be slightly harsher in their criticism.
BV