PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Reservist takes bullet for British Colonel
Old 18th Aug 2014, 17:23
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
I disagree with nutnurse's statement. It is tempting to say - "Give him a VC", but The Victoria Cross is our highest award and is treated with the same reverence as is the Medal of Honor by the Americans. It has very stringent conditions for its award, and quite rightly so. If it were given out wholesale it would soon have no more cachet than the Iron Cross or the Croix de Guerre.

There are very good reasons why this very brave soldier should nevertheless not be awarded the VC. Although the assailant certainly had murderous intent, he probably could not be considered "the enemy" within the meaning of the original warrant. A good comparison is Northern Ireland, where Captain Nairac, who was murdered by the IRA, was awarded a posthumous George Cross, not the Victoria Cross, as the IRA were not considered "the enemy", strange as that may seem.

As I outlined above for the VC, the George Cross is restricted to UK nationals and those of commonwealth countries (previously colonies). You would therefore have to amend the warrant before you could award a George Cross to a foreign national, although of course that may be a good thing.

Certainly he otherwise seems to qualify under the terms of the warrant which state:

"It is ordained that the Cross shall be awarded for acts of the greatest heroism ... in circumstances of extreme danger..."

Not much doubt there, I would have thought!