PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's artificial arm 'became detached while landing plane'
Old 18th Aug 2014, 12:45
Three Thousand Rule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the people who have had a go at my post, may I just remind you that I was not bigging this event up (in fact, in my earlier post, I expressed concern that it was reported as 'loss of control' and the effect this may have on the captain involved and other disabled pilots.)

I am on the side of the captain. He landed the aircraft safely.

However, Sharkslayer posted

Those who know what they're talking about have no issues here, so maybe the ignorant can just keep quiet!
(My emboldening.)

The fact is that the event was not briefed, the thrust levers were not under control and the aircraft suffered a heavy landing as a result.

I don't think that telling the ignorant to be quiet is a reasonable approach, when the aircraft was operated in a manner it was not mean to and an incident resulted.

I agree that the captain took a judgement call to get the safest outcome by using years of experience and there probably was not enough time to organize a safe go around, but I cannot see how the risk to the pax was not increased by the incident (even if only slightly), bearing in mind that CRM broke down or more possibly there was no time for it to be used.

There is a saying that people in glass houses are best advised to refrain from throwing stones, that is my only point.

DaveReid(UK) sums it up nicely with his 'lessons learned' comment and I am sure they have been.