PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 150 checkist
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2014, 10:35
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Anybody with an interest or opinions about the use of checklists would get a lot out of reading a book called "The checklist manifesto" by Atul Gawande. He's the fellow who took aviation (and other) checklist practices and introduced them into surgery. A local version of the WHO Safe Surgery Checklist is now mandatory, I believe, in all NHS operating theatres and other versions used throughout the world. There are research papers to show that they've saved a lot of lives.

A further thought or three:-

Checklists can be used in three ways:-

(1) Read-do
(2) Do, confirm
(3) Challenge and response

So let's put the nonsense about never using checklists as a list of actions to carry out aside. Read-do, is a perfectly legitimate way to use a checklist, just not the only way, and may not sometimes be the best way.

However, one major advantage of a checklist, however used, is that it frees up a chunk of mental capacity to then spend on thinking about the stuff that really needs the skills and reasoning capacity of the expert (pilot, surgeon, stockbroker...). That comes across very clearly and well in Gawande's book, which is one of the most impressive books I've ever read about how to achieve professionalism.

Original poster - if you've not lost all will to live, I have access to somebody's personal system (sort of a checklist, sort of not) that I know works well in the C150, and I use in my instructing. If you want to PM me an email address and which model C150 you are planning to fly, I'll ask them if they'd email you a copy.

G