PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Reservist takes bullet for British Colonel
Old 18th Aug 2014, 09:40
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Other than the many awards to Empire/Commonwealth recipients there has been a small number of instances of the Victoria Cross being awarded to foreign nationals. The one probably most familiar to the majority because of his depiction in the film Zulu is that awarded to Corporal F.C. Schiess of the Natal Native Contingent, a Swiss national, for his actions at Rorkes Drift in 1879. However Cpl Schiess was serving in a colonial unit of the British Army, as were the others I can trace.

I have not been able to trace any amendment to the original warrant which extends eligibilty for receipt of the award beyond members of British and Commonwealth (formerly Empire) armed forces, but this may have passed me by. I cannot find any reference to an amendment to the warrant which approved the award of the Victoria Cross to the US unknown soldier, but presumably a special case must have been made at the time.

This government has bent so many of its own laws and rules I don't why they can't bend another to give this very brave soldier the VC that is so well deserved
Understandable sentiment, but I dont think there is a case for "bending the rules". Far better to do it properly and amend the original warrant so as to include provision for the award to be given to foreign nationals serving in their own armed forces alongside those of the United Kingdom or the Commonwealth