PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wakey Wakey manning
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2014, 06:48
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
About 30 years ago, IIRC, there was an increase in flying training requirements as Tornado entered service. We had 3 TWUs going full tilt and several QFIs were posted back from their operational squadrons to augment the training system's increased need.

Then, 22 years ago, it went the other way when a few of us on QFI tours were detached back to operational flying for GW1.

In both cases there was sufficient capacity in the system to cope with such demands; moreover, there were sufficient aerodromes, QFIs and aircraft to cope with any future surge demand.

But since then it's been cut after cut, plus the creeping cancer of contractorisation. I wonder how any expansion in times of national need could be accomplished should the need arise - a recent trawl has been conducted to establish whether there are pilots in non-flying appointments who could be released back to the front line. I'd been intrigued to know whether many were identified.

And that's just pilots! If the UK were ever to get back into the ASW game, how on earth could sufficient experienced rear crew be trained to operate the aircraft effectively.

'Manning' is not just about whether one trade should receive higher salary levels than another; neither should it a sticking plaster business which patches over the damage without treating the cause.

So the RAF is back over Iraq yet again and it could be for 'weeks if not months'. How will that work, given the effect on retention caused by recent operations with decreasing asset levels? One squadron commander told me that he didn't think that any of his pilots would be staying in - and his groundcrews were of a similar mind.

Anyway, good luck to those still serving; I just hope that the politicians have finally learned to ensure that their desert adventurism can be backed by adequate resources - unlike that little toad Bliar.

Last edited by BEagle; 18th Aug 2014 at 06:59.