PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 fire warning
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2003, 07:14
pancho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi LEM, no, I am not assuming the fire warning comes on only when airborne. The scenario stated is that the Overheat light comes on above 80kts and then later (near V1) the fire warning occurs. If the crew have completed their performance data correctly for the conditions and the stopping procedure is commenced before V1 then the aircraft should stop within the distances available, limiting runway or not. V1 is a GO speed not a STOP speed. Boeing say that stopping for a Master Caution alone is not recommended, that does not mean you cannot stop if you think it necessary. It is incorrect to ignore the Master Caution as Menen has been taught, a call must be made.The problem arises when you approach V1, things are now happening fast and it is conceivable that V1 may be exceeded by the time the stopping procedure commences, ie: too late. Bear in mind that an Overheat does not automatically become a Fire. I have had such an event when operating up to max in hot/high steamy conditions and the QRH has a drill to cover it.

As regards the QRH you are using I am not sure what date it was issued but I have one from 1990 for the -200 that has the same Eng Fire drill as my current one, an NG, including the reference to the Overheat light.