PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 150 checkist
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2014, 00:04
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by tecman

The list BPF gave is pretty good, although there's quite a meal made of run up and pre- takeoff. I consolidate these into something like:

Hatches and harnesses - secure
Trim - set for take-off
Instruments - L to R and set (suction gauge on L is first port of call)
Mags - 1700, L, R, both (check rpm drop, and equality of drop on L, R)
Carb heat - check working, set cold, good engine idle
Flaps and controls - full free, correct sense
Radios, transponder - as needed
Brakes off
All clear
I would suggest our checklist are pretty close. The only difference is I listed the individual items in the Left to Right check. Since this checklist was built for PPL students this helps them learn all of the steps and since it lows it goes pretty fast.

Most airplanes have at least one item peculiar to them which is why I don't like generic checklists. For example your check list does not address the primer. If it is not locked in fuel will flow continually through it to the engine causing an excessively rich mixture, rough running and a significant loss of power. Not such a big deal on the C 172 but much more noticeable on the C 150 so it is an item that IMO should be explicitly addressed in the checklist.

Finally with respect to the runup, I am dismayed by how many pilots do the run up actions by rote with out any understanding of what they are checking and what to look for.

For example in the runup you check the mags and the left mag has a 40 RPM drop but the right mag has no drop at all. I have met many pilots who when presented with this situation think that they have an especially good right mag and they are good to go