PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Florence-bound Vueling fire
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2014, 22:38
Twottermann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idiots

This crew landed in Florence with a 23 knot tailwind, pulled full reverse and used heavy braking.... Hydraulic fluid dripping down onto the brakes began to smoke and caught fire and an evacuation was ordered.... I was a passenger on the jumpseat in a flight that landed after him.... We were in a turboprop (Q400) that has a 20knot tailwind allowance and at the time of our approach we had exactly 19 knots on the arse.... Full reverse, brakes and the end of the runway was pretty near before we backtracked!! I can only surmise that whoever elected to land beyond the limits of the aircraft will be up ****creek without a paddle!!!
Florence as I understand it is a category C airport, and tailwind restrictions on an already short runway should be taken seriously! Poor fellows!! Ramp agent provided adequate first hand account to us.... Was the pressure to land so high because of cost factors or was it something else... A diversion to Bologna is not such a big deal if you can't make it into Florence!!
Saludos Amigos!