PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 150 checkist
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2014, 21:01
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
The need for a written checklist in a C 150 is modest, so discussion about complex aircraft and checklists amounts to thread drift. But, at a more basic level, and in the theme of those who memorize their checklists, I think in terms of "Configuration Assurance". It is not so much aircraft type dependent, as operation dependent.

At every change in a phase of flight, ask yourself: "Is the aircraft configured for what I'm going to do with it next?" Then, if need be, use a checklist.

I can jump into a Cessna 182, and pretty well have have things memorized. I can jump into a 182 RG, and add "gear" to my thinking. However, if I take the amphibian version of a 182, and land it on the water with the wheels down, it's going to end badly, and be my fault. So it's not a non thinking "wheels down for landing", it's "what am I doing with this plane next? Is the plane correctly configured for it?".

I would not criticize a pilot for using a paper checklist. But a dedication to assuring configuration for what you're about to do is basic airmanship - a checklist can be weak for making that up. It probably works for the plane, but towbars, chocks and fuel caps are rarely mentioned on the approved checklist for an aircraft - they are airmanship. "I'm about to move it, and fly it, is it configured and secure?"....

Think about your configuration assurance, and use the checklist if you need it.